Marion County Annual Chili Cook Off Judging
Competition chili is blind judged (judges do not know the identity of the team) on the following six characteristics:
- Good flavoring and chili pepper taste (not too hot or not too mild)
- The texture of the meat – not tough or mushy
- Consistency – chili should be a smooth combination of meat and gravy – not too thin or too thick
- Blending of the spices – how well they have permeated the meat
- Aroma – usually a personal preference of the judge
- Color – chili should look appetizing
Booths are judged in 5 categories with points in each category ranging from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest.
- Theme – the show subject, topic, or context should be original
- Costume – Show costume should promote the show theme
- Booth Set-up – the show booth should promote the show theme
- Action/Spirit – Show should be action ‚Äì oriented i.e. skits, songs, dances, etc.
- Audience Appeal – Show should be entertaining to the audience
The judges’ decisions are final.
Division Winners (small business, large business, etc) TBD
People's Choice Chili
Most Creative Booth
Most Creative Costume
People's Choice Booth
"Trapper" Ron Morgan Memorial Team Spirit Award
*subject to change