WEEKLY NEWS LETTER 10/30
It’s Halloween! I hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend! We should have some perfectly beautiful weather to go trick or treating in this year! 8 days until the Chili Cook-Off! Are you ready to try almost 60 different chilis this year? One week out. The countdown is on!!
Woo Whoo! That's what we say at Cornerstone whenever we hear the words "Chili Cook Off"! We are in total Woo Whoo mode right now with just a week to go.
We really do need everyone's help making chili. Please don't forget to follow The Cornerstone Recipe (see below), freeze your chili (flat) in a gallon ziplock bag - double bag to prevent leaks, and bring the FROZEN chili to school on Friday, November 6 during morning car line. We will also be collecting your baked goods during car line. We need all kinds of goodies and as many as you can send, individually wrapped (unless it is a full cake/pie) is greatly appreciated! Our Bake Sale area and Chili are HOT money makers so the more the merrier!
Do you have a fantastic family baked good or special treat you love to make? How about entering in our baked goods contest? No cost for entries, just bring your baked goods to the Chili Cook Off and leave at the judging area before 10:00AM on November 7th. Items cannot require refrigeration. All entries must have your name, address, phone number, and name of the item. More than one entry is welcome. How about a tangy Salsa recipe? We have a salsa contest as well! Same rules, no entry fee, drop at the judging area by 10:00AM with your information the day of the cook off! 1st Place in each division will receive a trophy. See www.marioncountychilicookoff.com for details.
Everyone should have their volunteer positions. Any emergency concerns should be sent to email@example.com. We need some additional help in the children's area. If you are able to lend a hand, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We could also use help during the week to clean up signs and sticker ticket jars. If you are able please email Lucy at Lucy@thecornerstoneschool.org
Have you heard of "The BarbaCuban"? Ocala's very own, Jose Juarez, winner of America's New Grill Star from the Live with Kelly and Michael show as well as Mayor Guinn, are among our judges for the day!
Keep selling those raffle tickets! We are adding another raffle for the Auto Show area - A 60 gallon DeWalt Compressor! This is compliments of Toomey Tools and tickets will be available at the cook off or stop by Toomey Tools in Belleview, Ocala, or Waldo; 1 Ticket for $5 or 3 tickets for $10.
If you are able to loan us any of the following, please contact email@example.com :
Extension Cords (please label with your name)
Large Coolers (please label with your name)
A truck and trailer for Saturday night to bring "stuff" back to Cornerstone
Don't forget to get Chilied out next week!
Wednesday - Wear your Chili Shirt
Thursday - Wear your Chili Bling
Friday - All out Chili, wear it all!
Chili shirts and bling are available in the front office. See Ms. Erica
Spirit Week Schedule for CHILI
November 4th is Chili Shirt Day! Please wear your chili shirts!
November 5th is Chili Bling Day! Remember to purchase your bling in the front office and wear it on the 5th!
November 6th is “ALL OUT CHILI DAY” Wear any and everything CHILI!
Cornerstone Chili Recipe:
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 large onions, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 16 oz. cans whole tomatoes, un-drained and chopped
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 16 oz. cans kidney beans, un-drained
1 small bay leaf – remove after cooking
Sauté garlic and onion in oil. Add ground beef; cook over low heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add remaining ingredients: simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
Cool chili and place in refrigerator. Don’t forget to remove bay leaf! After completely cooling transfer to a double lined 1 gallon freezer baggie and freeze flat (lay down flat to freeze). This can be done in up to 2 weeks in advance.
Thank you to our 2015 Sponsors!!
Lifestyle Solutions MedSpa
JVC Broadcasting (Q92 and 102.3)
Twin Palms Orthopedics
The Mojo Grill
National Parts Depot
Prime Mortgage Group
Lange Eye Care
The Martial Arts Center
Cody's Original Roadhouse
Munroe Regional Medical Center
Gastroenterology Associates of Ocala
Florida Credit Union
The Band 4Play
Just a reminder that the Chili Cook Off is Cornerstone's largest fundraiser. The success of this event contributes to the experience your child has here at the school. We thank everyone for all their hard work in ensuring this event is the absolute best that it can be.
Spirit Day Today
Spirit Day was today and we had a Halloween parade!
We have officially set a date for our annual Golf Tournament. It will be April, 9th, 2016 so set your calendars golfers! More details will be unveiled in the upcoming months.
Robotics and STEM News
STEM Program News (Schedule)
- The fabulous Minecraft Club meets on Tuesday of this week. (3:00 - 4:15)
FIRST LEGO LEAGUE
- Monday - Robo Masterbuilders, Juice of Saphoo (3:15 - 4:45)
- Tuesday - Robotic Bacon Eating Narwhals (3:15 - 4:45)
- Thursday - All team meetings are cancelled for this day
- Spice Weasels
- Robo Beavers
- Red Hot Chili Bots
- Dark Minions
FIRST TECHNICAL CHALLENGE TEAM
- The Robotic Bacon Eating Narwhals will be in action this weekend in Tampa. They will be competing in the Halloween Res-Q Tournament in Tampa. Good luck Narwhals!
- Special thanks to Coaches Dr. Donnie, Ms. Rebecca Lesh, and Mr. Young for all their help.
Girls Who Code
Girls Who Code
- Girls Who Code continues to meet every Tuesday night from 6:00 - 8:15 This is one of The Cornerstone Schools community outreach programs.
- The students are able to receive dinner (6:00 - 6:30) and computer instruction (6:30 - 8:15) completely free of charge. The program is open to ALL 6th - 12th grade students in the Marion County area.
- A special thanks to our instructors: Mr. Jon Lin (Cornerstone Board Member) and Ms. Lisa Gonzalez (Cornerstone Parent). Our support team also includes Ms. Jackie Albright and Ms. Uniqua Burgess (Cornerstone Parents). Our club student ambassador is Cornerstone Alumni, Ms. Carly Albright (a Senior EMIT student at Forest High School)
Jr. FIRST LEGO LEAGUE
- The Junior FIRST Lego League teams will be meeting on Wednesday immediately after school UNTIL 4:15
- Juice of Saphoo
- Dark Minions
- Robo Masterbuilders
- Robo Beavers
THE CORNERSTONE CLASSIC
To be held at Vanguard High School on Saturday, November 21. 9:00 - 3:30 PM
This tournament is open to all FIRST Lego League Teams in the Northeastern District of Florida
Cornerstone's very own FLL teams will be in attendance:
- The Spice Weasels
- The Red Hot Chili Bots
- The Juice of Saphoo
- The Robo Masterbuilders
- The Dark Minions
- The Robo Beavers
Maker Faire Event
A MAKER FAIRE Event is coming to the Ocala Barnes and Noble Book Store
If you’re a tech enthusiast, educator, tinkerer, hobbyist, engineer, science club member, author, artist, student, entrepreneur, crafter, or maker of any kind—join us! In partnership with Make: Magazine, creators of the Maker Faire, we’re putting on a Mini Maker Fare in all Barnes & Noble stores nationwide from November 6 through 8. We’ll learn from each other, hear from experts, and work on projects together. There will be three different stations set up over the weekend
1. Make Workspace: Tech-educational expo space where a bookseller or community volunteer demonstrates various featured products. For example, Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 3D printer, Protocol Drone, Spin Master Robot. (time: approximately 50 minutes)
2. Meet the Makers: Makers, educators & authors dedicated to changing the way we learn, ideate, design, create, and build will speak to the audience about their vision, products, etc. (time: approximately 30 minutes)
3. Make and Collaborate: Hands-on experiences for your customer that are centered around the art of designing, handcrafting, and construction in the spirit of collaboration, cooperative learning and teamwork. (time: approximately 45 minutes)
Go over and check it out on Friday (November 6) or Sunday (November 8)....you won't be able to go on Saturday because you will be at the fabulous 34th Annual CHILI COOKOFF.
Cornerstone STEM Program to be part of Barnes and Noble Maker Faire!
The Barnes and Noble Maker Faire will include Mr. Joe Moseley and some of our robotics students on Friday evening at 7:00.
It is an honor for our school to be invited to participate and it will give us an opportunity to show the Marion County community what a real STEM program looks like.
Hope to see you there
Congratulations to our young artists who did an AMAZING job at FAFO this past weekend. Megan Cain came in FIRST for best in middle school! Jade Webby also came in 3rd for “sculpture”. Kyle Clements came in 2nd in “painting”. Andy Kraft also placed for his H.M. Textiles. Congratulations to everyone on doing such an outstanding job!
Cornerstone gets money or gifts from Box Tops, Campbell's Labels, and Coke products.
The points are posted in the office on a regular basis on the Tribe's points chart!
It is advisable to bring the Box Tops etc. into school as soon as you have a small amount - The Tribe name should be displayed on the baggie. For more information contact Penny Gonzalez at PGonzalez@thecornerstoneschool.org.
Quote of the Week
Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Thanks everyone! Have a great, safe weekend!